Sunday, December 25, 2011

Charms - straying away from paper

I participated in a handmade charm exchange, I thought it would be fun to see what others were doing in the crafting world, I hate to miss out on a fun challenge.

A few years ago when I worked in a craft store I created little charms to hang off my name tags giving it a little personalization.  This helped to start conversations and also sell products, mainly stamps and ink.

I used the stamps I had and stamped them on frosted Shrinky Dink plastic - which is available at most craft stores.  I use the frosted plastic because it is easier to color the image in with colored pencils, I tend to use Staz On ink for stamping because like the name says it staz on.  I stamp with black for everything as personal preference.

After the images are stamped and colored I cut them out being mindful of the fact that I need to adjust the design for a loop to punch a hold in with a hole punch.  Once the charms are shrunk I put a jump ring in the hole and connect it to a lobster clip.  I personally like to use double jump rings available at craft stores.

I shrink the plastic on a foil lined pan at 250 degrees for 10 minutes, if the plastic is not completely flat I push it down with my finger.



My idea of fun is a new creation

No comments:

Post a Comment